You must do the things you think you cannot do.

- Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, July 2, 2010

Self-Knowledge

"Many bad players will not improve because they cannot bear self-knowledge." - David Mamet.

Yesterday, while browsing the local half-priced bookstore, I came across a copy of The Tao of Poker. My eyes widened. I reached out and picked up the copy. For $3.97, I would make a purchase. Something about the book makes me all warm and fuzzy inside. It brings out my desire to make myself a better person (not just a better player). In fact, I've also heard many traders refer to this book; I've heard many people refer to this book.

The Tao of Poker has more than its fair share of treasure contained within.

For example, the quote above. I had not planned on posting until I skimmed across that line. One of the easiest things to do is to block your real self from coming into view. Some people may even know their flaws (intellectually), but they prefer to push those realizations off to the side. It makes for a more comfortable life.

Unfortunately, the true winner, the true master, is willing to look at himself in the mirror in entirety. It is a difficult thing to do, viewing your own humanity. But, self improvement is difficult if you do not allow yourself to see what needs improvement.

It takes strong people.

No comments:

Post a Comment